The 1st World Trout Culture Summit will bring together trout culturists from around the globe including:
- trout farmers & hatchery technicians
- fish & wildlife professionals
- enhancement/restocking technicians
- trout nutrition and health experts
- freshwater fisheries associations
- industry suppliers, investors, academia and more!
Featuring live presentations, Q&A sessions and panel discussions, plus a host of on-demand presentations from some of the industry’s leading experts, this new virtual event promises to give trout culturists some valuable take aways to consider.
11:00am - 11:50amModerator:
Panel: Genetics & broodstock
Jean Ko Din, editor of Hatchery International & RAStechPanelists:
- Sean Nepper, chief brood officer & VP of fish health at Riverence Trout Farms
- Maureen Ritter, managing director of Canada Cryogenetics Services
- Dr. Marie Smedley, senior breeding program manager at Xelect Genetics
- Arlen Taylor, owner of Cedar Crest Trout Farms
Starting from the building blocks of genetic research, this panel will address current priorities in building a strong breeding program for both trout enhancement and farming. Though these sectors can have different breeding objectives, experts will share different methods and technical best practices that could help accomplish your genetic goals.
11:50am - 12:00pm
12:00pm - 12:50pmModerator:
Panel: Growth performance
Ben Normand, aquaculture consultant and teaching faculty at Fleming CollegePanelists:
- Dr. Hayri Deniz, secretary general of Mugla Fish Farmers Association
- Dr. Mykolas Kamaitis, veterinarian & owner of Belwood Lake Veterinary Services
- Katie Harris, president & general manager of Mt. Lassen Trout Farms
- Oliver Robinson, head of British Trout Association
Advancements in trout nutrition, culture systems and management all contribute to stronger growth performance in fish. This expert panel will address the current challenges the industry faces and share advice on how to find right the strategy for optimized production.
12:50pm - 1:00pm
1:00pm - 1:50pmModerator:
Panel: RAS technology
David Kuhn, associate professor at Virginia TechPanelists:
- Craig Copeland, fish culture manager at the Alberta Ministry of Environment & Parks
- John Holder, co-founder & director of technology at Gold River Aquafarms
- Thorsten N. Vammen, general manager of FREA Solutions
This panel will explore the benefits and challenges of recirculating systems, from restocking rainbow and brown trout flow through hatcheries considering a move to RAS, to commercial farms growing trending species like Steelhead from egg to plate. What is this technology's future role and potential for trout in both enhancement fisheries and in aquaculture?